The Victorian Parliament is now taking submissions towards the inquiry into the use of cannabis in Victoria. Public and confidential submissions are welcomed by the committee until August 31st.
It’s taken a little while, but submissions finally opened after the committee granted themselves a one-year extension on the reporting date – now March 31st, 2021.
The committee was created to inquire into five aspects of cannabis in the state:
- Prevent young people and children from accessing and using cannabis in Victoria
- Protect public health and public safety in relation to the use of cannabis in Victoria
- Implement health education campaigns and programs to ensure children and young people are aware of the dangers of drug use, in particular, cannabis use
- Prevent criminal activity relating to the illegal cannabis trade in Victoria, and
- Assess the health, mental health, and social impacts of cannabis use on people who use cannabis, their families and carers
They’ve also been tasked with examining regions with already proven success regarding cannabis, and how those models can be adapted for Victoria.
We want to hear from community members about the current restrictions on the use of cannabis in Victoria and whether these are appropriate,” Committee Chair Fiona Patten said. We’re interested in hearing people’s views on whether use of cannabis should remain legal for medical treatment only or whether current restrictions on use of cannabis should be changed,” Ms Patten said.
Anyone and everyone in Victoria is welcome to make a submission. If you have an opinion on medicinal and recreational cannabis, now is the time to voice it to the government.
At the same time, it’s crucial that our own community members have the opportunity to get involved with this conversation. That’s why we’re encouraging people with an interest in these issues to make a submission.
Ms Patten isn’t one to shy away from voicing her own opinion on the issue – ending the prohibition.
— Fiona Patten MP (@FionaPattenMLC) May 2, 2019
She was also keen to kick off 2021 by starting the sale of cannabis in Victoria. Unlikely now, given the extension of the committee.
Today I took another step to legalising #cannabis for adult use in Vic. I called for a Select Committee of Parliament to advise the Govt on what legal & regulatory frameworks is best to start the sale of cannabis by 2021, including an examination of my Cannabis Regulation Bill pic.twitter.com/RfpfKLFq4u
— Fiona Patten MP (@FionaPattenMLC) March 6, 2019